Is there anything that can help me sleep? I've tried every piece of advice for establishing good sleep hygiene. I've tried valarien root, melatonin, and OTC sleep aids. Those seem to wind me up. I stay wide awake for 48 hours then i sleep for 6 hours but

Dr. Noel Johnson
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Get

Get yourself an appointment with a sleep medicine specialist in your area.
It may take some work/time, but there is help available and you can lead a normal life with proper management. Yes, chances are that you may have to manage this condition from now on. It may be best to look at the management of insomnia as a hobby rather than a project, much like the management of diabetes.

In brief: Get

Dr. Noel Johnson
Dr. Noel Johnson
Dr. Teresa Jacobs

In brief: It

It is really a good step that you have tried to improve your sleep hygiene first.
Your trouble sleeping sounds like it does need to be evaluated by a specialist in sleep medicine. Figuring out how to help you will take time and details about your health and habits. Only after you have a more specific explanation for your trouble can a specific treatment plan be created. You might have to try more than one treatment to find the best fit. It would a good idea to keep a 2-week sleep diary before your sleep consultation: you can find one at www.Sleepeducation.Com.

In brief: It

Dr. Teresa Jacobs
Dr. Teresa Jacobs