100 % blocked artery I have 1 artery that is 100% blocked and 2 that is 50% blocked.I'm with the va and they said the 100% blocked artery rerouted two little veins to the bottom of my heart and kind of repaired itself.They are also 50% blocked and too sma

Dr. Marko Yakovlevitch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: It's

It's a very good question.
There are times when we (as cardiologists) will send a patient for bypass surgery of a single 100% blocked vessel, especially if it is the artery on the front of the heart (left anterior descending) and especially if heart muscle function is depressed (ejection fraction). However, if heart muscle function is good and the body has made its own small bypass vessels (collateral arteries) we will often manage single vessel disease like you describe medically. It is then critically important that the other arteries stay healthy since part of the backup system is now gone. Medical management should include drugs that lower the risk of heart attack and plaque progression. Aggressive treatment of cholesterol elevation is critically important. You should also know that surgery is generally pursued to decrease the risk of death or to improve symptoms that can't be controlled medically, and your risk of death may not be high enough to justify the risk of surgery. Surgery does not generally reduce the risk of heart attack though (in the right circumstances) it can make heart attacks more survivable. Although i don't know enough about your condition to give you a definite personal answer, the situation you describe is not unusual. I will say, however, that treatment of your heart disease must include careful attention to minimizing your risk of plaque progression and plaque rupture (i.e. Heart attack), which will likely involve aggressive therapy with statins and/or other cholesterol lowering medications.

In brief: It's

It's a very good question.
Dr. Marko Yakovlevitch
Dr. Marko Yakovlevitch

In brief: Get some more detail

How is the heart muscle? Are you diabetic? A single coronary arterial vessel can have adequate collaterals ( kind of repaired itself).
50% or less blockage is the decision point for many bypass options. If less then flow is not obstructed and grafts may not stay open. If more then intervetion may be appropriate. Your risks relate to weight, smoking, cholesterol, and must all be considered.

In brief: Get some more detail

Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Creighton Wright
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology