How do I clean my eyelids? I've been told I have blepharitis and that cleaning my eye lids will help this. - how does one clean their eyelids? - which part of the eyelids am i trying to clean? - how do you clean your eyelids without getting soap in your e

Dr. Alma Murphy
Ophthalmology

In brief: Blepharitis

Blepharitis is an inflammation of the eyelid margins.
This often looks like "dandruff" at the base of the eyelashes when examined with high magnification. Removing this "dandruff" with eyelid scrubs will improve the blepharitis. Using your index finger, you can gently scrub the base of the eyelashes. Commercially-available lid-scrub pads, such as those made by ocusoft, have a mild detergent that cleans well. An alternative is to mix your own detergent with one part baby shampoo diluted with 20 parts water. Once you have scrubbed your eyelids, rinse them well with water. If you get the mild detergent in your eye, it does not sting like soap does.

In brief: Blepharitis

Dr. Alma Murphy
Dr. Alma Murphy
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Blepharitis therapy

Blepharitis is a very treatable problem. Initial treatment includes artificial tears, a bland antibiotic ointment at night, and ocusoft plus lid scrubs twice daily immediately after warm compresses.
If symptoms persist, additional therapies may be needed and you should see your eye doctor.

In brief: Blepharitis therapy

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Adam Smith