What is the best age to get lasik done? I heard somewhere that if you're too young, your eyes keep changing, and you'll need to have the surgery done again. Is that true? Are there any age concerns for getting lasik?

Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology

In brief: I

I frequently hear patients say that they believe that their prescription is still changing in to their late 20’s or even 30’s and therefore they can't have lasik.
Most girls have a stable eye size by the time that they are 19 or 20. Boys commonly change until 22 or 23 but may stop changing earlier. This is different than the slight prescription changes that may be encouraged by can be measured by those whose job it is to sell glasses or contacts. When you are young and nearsighted, many find that a small additional amount of minus power may still give very good vision. Refractive surgeons work hard to eliminate the focusing power of the patient in order to give the best possible long-term correction. If refractive surgeons operated on the prescription that can be measured for glasses or contact lenses, then when you get older, you would need reading glasses before your time. If you are past your early 20’s, it is likely that you are old enough for lasik.

In brief: I

Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Jay Bradley
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: LASIK age

You should at least 18 years of age and have a stable prescription.
If your prescription us not stable, you need to wait until it stabilizes.

In brief: LASIK age

Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Jay Bradley
Dr. Sayjal Patel
Ophthalmology

In brief: One

One of the most important requirements for refractive surgery (including lasik) is a stable refraction.
While it is true that you eyes can change, establishing stability in your prescription should be something that your eye surgeon discusses with you in detail during your initial evaluation. The fda's informational site can give you a starting point to formulate important questions to ask your surgeon: http://www.Fda.Gov/medicaldevices/productsandmedicalprocedures/surgeryandlifesupport/lasik/default.Htm.

In brief: One

Dr. Sayjal Patel
Dr. Sayjal Patel
Dr. William Forsythe