Is pain and swelling more than a month after cutting through a tendon in my hand normal? I got hurt at work and as a result a tendon in my hand was severed. A doctor initially told me i would need surgery to repair the tendon but when he discovered it wa

Dr. Austin Yeargan III
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: OT
Stiffness, pain and swelling in the hand can be normal in this setting whether or not surgery was performed.
Give it at least six weeks for the tissues to regain their tensile and compressive strength and seek the instruction of an occupational therapist. Second opinions are golden.

In brief: OT
Dr. Austin Yeargan III
Dr. Austin Yeargan III
Dr. Jason Hess
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Not
Not all tendon lacerations require surgery.
I hope that your insurance status played no role in the care that you received. If a tendon is more than half intact following an injury, there is often no indication for surgery. If you are still having swelling and pain, you should likely be seeing a hand therapist, if you are not already doing so. Swelling following injury may persist for a few months. Every person is different. If your symptoms persist, seek a second opinion. Workmans compensation will likely allow this. In the mean time, Ibuprofen is a good anti inflammatory that will help with discomfort and will help to reduce swelling. Good luck!

In brief: Not
Dr. Jason Hess
Dr. Jason Hess
Dr. Christopher Henley
Surgery - Hand Surgery
In brief: Some
Some swelling and stiffness is normal after tendon injury 4-6 weeks after injury.
Many variables are involved. Some patients have this even after a perfect repair in surgery 4-6 weeks later. I assume this person who recommended non-surgery is still treating you. He should be able to advise you. At the very least i would see the work comp doctor and get another opinion from a hand surgeon; the faster, the better.

In brief: Some
Dr. Christopher Henley
Dr. Christopher Henley
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham