I have a slight heart murmur..Should i be worried? I was told about 3 or so months ago that I have a slight heart murmur. They said it was a level 1? So i don't think it is too serious. But today it feels like my heart is beating really really slow. But i

Dr. Joshua Buckler
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: A

A heart murmur is nothing more than turbulent blood flow through the heart and can be caused by many different situations ranging from completely benign (vigorous flow through a normally pumping heart, or pregnancy) or more serious conditions such as valve narrowing (stenosis), leaking (regurgitation), or a hole in the heart.
Murmurs are typically graded based on the loudness (grade 1-6) and the description can often give clues as to the possible cause. The only way to know for sure if a murmur is benign or more concerning is to have an echocardiogram done which will show any abnormalities that might be present. I would discuss this with your physician and consider this if you are really concerned.

In brief: A

Dr. Joshua Buckler
Dr. Joshua Buckler
Dr. John Breinholt
Pediatrics - Cardiology

In brief: Likely nothing.

I presume they said a 1/6 murmur, which is how we classify them. A 1 is very soft, very difficult to hear and seldom indicative of heart disease.
You have probably had it a long time, but no one heard it (again, very soft). If they said don't worry, don't. A murmur is a sound, not a disease. They can mean a problem, but more are not. Ask your doctor directly, is it innocent?

In brief: Likely nothing.

Dr. John Breinholt
Dr. John Breinholt
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology