What are the chances that this is breast cancer? I am young but have a very full family history of cancer on both sides of my family, skin cancer breast cancer lung cancer ovarian cancer the list continues, recently i noticed a lump on my left breast and

Dr. Peter Eby
Radiology

In brief: Hello,

Hello, it is difficult to answer this question specifically for you without being able to see the images.
In general, a radiologist, a physician that looks at medical images, will assess the shape, size, margins and density of a mass to determine the chance that it might be cancer. The radiologist may use mammograms and ultrasound images to gather this information. Radiologists will recommend a biopsy for any abnormality that has a chance of being cancer that is 2% or more. "pointy edges" will raise the chance to greater than 2%. Therefore, i would follow the recommendation for biopsy. The chance that this particular finding is cancer also depends on your age, personal history and family history. From your story i think that the most important factor is the family history. Having breast and ovarian cancer in your family will raise your personal risk. The risk is highest if it was a first-degree relative (sister or mother) that had breast or ovarian cancer. If it was grandmother or distant cousin, the risk for you is not as high. If it was mother or sister or both, this might be a sign that your family has a gene that raises the risk of some kinds of cancer. If so, i would recommend that you all talk to a medical provider that performs genetic counseling. This can help you decide if you want to make a special effort to reduce your risk or start special screening tests to help detect cancer early if it happens. I see that you posted this question 28 days ago. I see that the biopsy likely has already happened and that you have the result. I hope that it was benign. If not, then i hope that you know that we have great treatments for breast cancer and most women are survivors. I will be thinking about you and hoping for the best.

In brief: Hello,

Dr. Steve Martinez
Breast Surgery

In brief: Next step

The next step once a lump in the breast is felt is proving that it is not cancer.
This will require an examination by your doctor and possibly additional testing such as a mammogram or ultrasound. Ultimately, a biopsy my be necessary, and referral to a breast surgery specialist. Take the first step, though.

In brief: Next step

Dr. Travis Kidner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Time to see your doc

With your family history and your concerns i would see your friendly primary care doctor and have the lump examined.
Based on the physical findings your doctor may order imaging to further diagnose the lump.

In brief: Time to see your doc

Dr. Crystal Twynham
Board Certified, Surgery