How dangerous is hyperparathyroidism? I have high levels of pth and calcium along with a multitude of symptoms. I am scheduled for a scan in 2 weeks and have an appointment with an endocrine surgeon in 34 days. I am struggling through my workday and have

Dr. Steve Martinez
Breast Surgery

In brief: A spectrum

Hyperparathyroidism comes in a spectrum of severity.
In general, I am less concerned with the parathyroid hormone level and more concerned with the calcium level. The higher the calcium level goes, the higher the risk of heart rhythym abnormalities. If your level is under 12, it is unlikely that you will have a serious problem. But if you feel miserable, you should call your surgeon!

In brief: A spectrum

Dr. Steve Martinez
Dr. Steve Martinez
Dr. Jack Rubin
Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis

In brief: High calcium

If you have hyperparathyrodism (h) the best option for you is surgery to remove one of the 4 parathyroid glands that is producing excess parathyroid hormone (p).
Your calcium (c) level will continue to increase, unless the gland is removed as c will continue to be liberated from bone. High calcium levels can cause a variety of symptoms, among them mental confusion and stomach ulcers.

In brief: High calcium

Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Jack Rubin
Dr. Kenneth Gross
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Typically

Typically hyperparathyroidism is a an easily correctable condition and you need not be concerned.
The most important thing is to have a very experienced surgeon do the surgery.

In brief: Typically

Dr. Kenneth Gross
Dr. Kenneth Gross
Dr. Adam Smith