My father is 88 an has had both of his knees replaced yesterday he began experiencing pain annd sweeling in his right knee he had his knees replaced 10 years ago the synptoms started yesterday and have gotten worse this morning he is hardly able to walk

Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: See his doctor

He is having arthritis in his right knee this could be due to several causes.
Infection or dysfunction or loosening of the knee prosthesis would be the most likely. He needs to see his doctor and have his knee x-rayed and possdibly tapped.

In brief: See his doctor

Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Justin Esterberg
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Sorry

Sorry to hear your father is in pain.
First, if he is having any fevers or chills or his knees feel warm or look red, he should go to the emergency room or schedule an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon, perhaps one that subspecializes in adult reconstruction (joint replacement). Pain and swelling in the knee after a knee replacement could be a result of an infection and symptoms and signs like the above can indicate an infection. Pain and swelling can also be a result of an injury or perhaps the knee replacement parts are loose. An orthopaedic surgeon would take some xrays and perhaps draw some blood tests to help sort out what is causing the problem. If he is feeling really ill or having fevers or chills or if his knee feels warm and looks red, he should be evaluated in the emergency room to rule out an infection. I hope this helps and he feels better.

In brief: Sorry

Sorry to hear your father is in pain.
Dr. Justin Esterberg
Dr. Justin Esterberg
Dr. Steven Seres