What is the best recommended anti-anxiety/depression medication? I currently have medi-cal coverage. Does this make a diff? I recently became a single mother. My separation is extremely messy and needless to say going to get worse before it gets better. I

In brief: Your Doc will decide

The best antidepressant/anti anxiety medication for you will be determined by your doctor based on your symptoms.
See your pcp or psychiatrist and consider counseling to help you deal with your current situation.

In brief: Your Doc will decide

Dr. Joseph Weiner

In brief: You

You have your hands full.
It's great that you're reaching out with this question. The truth is that there is not one best medication for the symptoms you are describing. The good thing is that there are many good medication choices. It would be important when you see your doctor to have the list of medications covered by medi-cal for depression and anxiety. Call the number on the back of your card and ask them for that list. The best approach to getting relief is to see a psychiatrist who can help you: 1) make an accurate diagnosis, 2) give you a choice of two medications with different possible side effects, so you can pick the medication that you would feel most comfortable taking. If you are not able to get to see a psychiatrist, bring you general practitioner a written list of your symptoms to your appointment, so save time during the discussion. The general visit to an internist is 7-12 minutes, so managing that time efficiently will help save time to sort out things like the accurate diagnosis and a discussion about medication choices. Having your symptoms better controlled will help you sleep, as well as be less anxious and less depressed. There is definitely hope for you to feel better. Be determined and systematic and you will feel better.

In brief: You

You have your hands full.
Dr. Holly Maes
There is no one-size fits all answer regarding "best" medication or treatment here. A visit or two with doc will help you figure out what is best for YOU!