I have a hole in my eardrum, will I pick up viruses or bacteria from fresh water if I get in?

Dr. Harold Peltan
Ophthalmology
In brief: Likely
Let your ear drum heal before submerging your head in water. In an emergency, you may consider using an ear plug.
Seek further advice from your doctor who diagnosed the hole in the ear drum.

In brief: Likely
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Harold Peltan
Dr. Dennis Diaz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: No
An ear drum perforation opens the middle ear to exposure and it will be the water that can be the irritant and cause problems rather than exposure to viruses or bacteria.
You should consider using an ear plug if you are anticipating doing a lot of swimming or having excessive water exposure.

In brief: No
Dr. Dennis Diaz
Dr. Dennis Diaz
Dr. Marsha Davis