What kind of doctor should I see for a herniated disk? Should I see an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon?

Either. Either could suffice depending on the surgeon's experience . Ask local health care providers or other patients for local recommendations.
Both are ok. Both neurosurgeons and fellowship trained orthopaedic surgeons treat spinal disorders. It is worth your time to learn about your surgeon before considering surgery. Hopefully, your primary care doctor can help to point you in the right direction. The most important thing to do is to make sure that the surgeon you choose has expertise in treating your problem. Check out healthgrades.Com.
Orthopedic Surgeon. While certainly a neurosurgeon is trained in spine surgery a orthopedic spine surgeon can offer you all the needed answers to your symptoms and can handle all aspects of your care as we deal with the musculoskeletal systems in total compared to that of a neurosurgeon.
Either. . Either. Whoever you decide to see, it is better to see someone who has completed a spine surgery fellowship in addition to their residency training.

Related Questions

Which type of doctor should I see for Scoliosis and Herniated Disk? Is an orthopedic Surgeon ok?

Ortho / neurosurgeon. Orthopedists treat both scoliosis & herniated discs. However, you want to see and ortho-spine specialist & not just any ortho. Neurosurgeons also specialize in the treatment of back problems, particularly herniated disc's. It's usually just pt preference. In your case with a history of a meningioma it would be prudent to discuss these issues with your neurosurgeon first & then decide on the doc. Read more...