What can I do about this sharp shooting pain in my left leg? I have recently been expierencing a shooting pain in my leg it extends from the bottom of my left foot all the way up to the left part of my lower back, my mom said it's sciatica. Im 21 years ol

Dr. Joseph Hogan
Podiatry

In brief: Tarsal Tunnel

Needs evaluation.
Tarsal tunnel syndrome. L5-s1 spinal nerve root compression with radiculopathy. Needs neurologic testing.

In brief: Tarsal Tunnel

Needs evaluation.
Dr. Joseph Hogan
Dr. Joseph Hogan
Dr. Carl Balog
Pain Management

In brief: Yes,

Yes, but its more complicated than that.
First and foremost, if you have any leg weakness associated with it, you need to have it evaluated quickly. The same is true for problems with urination or soiling. Conventional wisdom suggests stopping those activities that might aggravate the pain in the short term, however no improvement or frank worsening of your symptoms warrants seeking medical attention. Sciatica is layman's term for nerve irritation, which can cause these symptoms if you have a disk pushing against it. If you're active in sports or took a fall, these things can cause disks to bulge even at your age. Don't be shy about asking for help if things do not improve.

In brief: Yes,

Dr. Carl Balog
Dr. Carl Balog
Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Pinched Nerve

Sounds like you have a pinched nerve in your back.
I would suggest seeing a pain/spine specialist to evaluate you further to evaluate what level and what can be done to treat you. There are interventional treatments besides medications and surgeries that might reduce or eliminate the pain altogether.

In brief: Pinched Nerve

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Eric Weisman