How can I tell if my nose is broken?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: How does it look

If your nose is misshapen or off to one side it's broken.
If you have significant swelling and black and blue discoloration it's broken. If it just hurts it is probably not broken. There are only two reasons to fix a broken nose - you don't like the way it looks or you don't like the way it works.

In brief: How does it look

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Cornelia Franz

In brief: Raccoon eyes

Years ago my ENT told me that if your nose is broken odds are you will get raccoon eyes or two black eyes.
It is obvious if the nose is crooked or misshapen. He also said to wait three days for the swelling to go down...If in doubt then see the ent.

In brief: Raccoon eyes

Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Dr. Dennis Diaz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Off to one side

Obvious external nose deformity following trauma associated with swelling, nose bleeding, black and blue eyes along with crepitus is diagnostic for nasal fracture.

In brief: Off to one side

Dr. Dennis Diaz
Dr. Dennis Diaz