Family member is 54 yo and has been smoking since 14 yo. Now experiences chronic seasonal bronchitis and periodic pneumonia. She had a very minor car accident at work and had to submit to a breath tester for alcohol as a condition of employment. No one

No one what?? Wish I had the end of your posting. Heavy smokers, esp who start early, are often drinkers, sometimes heavy ones. Since I don't really know what your question is, I will assume that her breath test was positive. Get a professional evaluation by an addiction counselor or physician&work on smoking cessation. Alanon may be helpful for family members and friends to deal with reactions to alcohol use.
Sounds. Sounds like she probably has COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), due to smoking. She needs to stop smoking, if she cannot provide the minimum flow for the breath test- she is already fairly advanced. She will need pulmonary function testing to prove the diagnosis and provide a baseline.