Does mastoiditis cause chronic headaches?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Difficult question

True mastoiditis - a purulent infection of the mastoid bone - is ridiculously rare in this day.
In my 22 years of practice I have never seen it. I have, however, had patients referred to me with pain around their ears who were told they had mastoiditis who had something else such as jaw spasm. Sometimes patients have a ct or MRI with benign swelling misdiagnosed as mastoiditis. See an ENT doctor.

In brief: Difficult question

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Dennis Diaz
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: No

Mastoiditis causes pain behind or around the ear and is usually associated with redness and swelling behind the ear as well as a history of ear disease.
Acute or even chronic mastoiditis rarely is the cause of a generalized headache.

In brief: No

Dr. Dennis Diaz
Dr. Dennis Diaz