Recent blood work i had shows a lymphocyte percentage of 16% (with a normal lab range of 20-45%). Should i be concerned? It's only slightly low, and all other blood values were well within range. I'm a 43-year-old female. What kinds of things can cause

Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: No concern.

There are five types of white cells.
If one of the other cell types is slightly elevated, the lymphs will decrease as a percentage of the whole. This minor change is of no consequence.

In brief: No concern.

There are five types of white cells.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Nicholas Perera
Emergency Medicine

In brief: I

I suppose the big question is why did you have the bloodwork done, if you simply had screening bloodwork done and you feel fine, i would not worry about this much.
You may want to consider having HIV testing if you have risk factors for HIV (iv drug use, high risk sexual activity). Another question is, what is the total lymphocyte count- if normal, then it is likely that your percentage is low because one of the other cell lines (such as neutorphils) is slightly high, so it would be helpful having all of the results of your CBC and differential. If you have specific symptoms that would be helpful.

In brief: I

Dr. Nicholas Perera
Dr. Nicholas Perera
Dr. Jane Van Dis