What are typical symptoms of arthritis? How do I know whether I have arthritis? What are the symptoms?

Dr. David True
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Arthritis symptoms

Typical arthritis symptoms are stiffness, pain & decreased range of motion of joints.
The timing of symptoms, duration of stiffness and amount of motion loss help to determine type and severity of arthritis. I recommend seeing your physician to obtain a diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

In brief: Arthritis symptoms

Dr. David True
Dr. David True
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Osteorthritis

Osteorthritis causes pain in different joints but most commonly affects the shoulder the thumb joint the hips and knees, in the foot can cause deformities known as bunion or hammer toes.
The most common symptoms is pain after use of the joint usually towards the end of the day, and stiffness after sitting for a while for example in a car ride. This type of arthritis is due to the wear and tear of the joints which starts as early as late twenties early thirties and usually causes more pain in 40 years and older. Inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis usually affect younger people, joints such as fingers elbows wrists and the ball of the foot, can be painful swollen and red. There is stiffness in the morning that gets better as the day goes by. This should prompt a call to your doctor's office.

In brief: Osteorthritis

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge