How can I sleep with arthritis pain? My arthritis pain (in my arms) keeps me from sleeping comfortably. What are some ways to relieve arthritis pain so i can sleep?

Dr. Patrick St. Pierre
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Heat and pain relief

Using a heating pad or heating creams before bed often help.
Also, there are products such as tylenol (acetaminophen) pm that may help as well. There are also foods that aggravate arthritis - searching on line for those and avoiding them may help.

In brief: Heat and pain relief

Dr. Patrick St. Pierre
Dr. Patrick St. Pierre
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Usually

Usually the pain at night is over the shoulder area and prevents patients from sleeping on either side.
Many times is not really arthritis but tendons or soft tissue surrounding the shoulder which causes the problem. The first recommendation is try and sleep on the back or belly but for those patients who are unable to do so an Acetaminophen tablet or if the pain is more intense, Ibuprofen or Naproxen at night can help. Also appropriate pillows that keep the neck and shoulders aligned can offer some help. If the pain persists for more than a month a consultation with a doctor may be needed.

In brief: Usually

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge