What is a restrictive abnormality? My doctor told me I have a mild restrictive abnormality. What does that mean and should I be worried?

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Organ

What part of your body was discussed? Lungs or heart.
Without knowing the details difficult to answer.

In brief: Organ

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: What

What your doctor means by having a "mild restrictive abnormality" is that you have less than expected (but not severely less) lung function or lung capacity.
Restrictive abnormalities are diagnosed by pulmonary function tests where the volume of air that you can breathe in and out is measured. Measuring the lung volumes will show smaller than expected lung sizes, meaning that your capacity to breathe, especially when you need to take in more air (e.g. During exercise) will be reduced. This can result in you more short of breath than usual when doing activities that require physical exertion. Most people with sedentary lifestyles may not even notice they have a mild restrictive abnormality. There are many different causes of having a mild restrictive abnormality, and whether you should be worried about it really depends on the cause. The most common cause of a mild restrictive abnormality in the us is being overweight or obese. However, there are pulmonary diseases such as lung fibrosis, hypersensitivity pneumonitis (allergy to inhaled irritants), chest wall disorders and diseases that cause muscle weakness that can all cause restrictive lung disease. The most important thing is to identify what the cause of the restrictive lung deficit is and manage it appropriately.

In brief: What

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge