What is the value of a pneumonia vaccine in addition to flu vaccine? I'm in my fifties and take the bus to work every day. Every year i get the flu vaccine, but a friend suggested i also get the pneumonia vaccine. Is this something I should be doing?

Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Immunizations

Flu vaccine protects you against viruses while the pneumonia vaccine will protect you against bacterial pneumonia such as strep pneumoniae.
By all means get both shots for your protection.

In brief: Immunizations

Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: It

It is very sensible that you are taking the influenza vaccination every year as this substantially decreases your chance of getting influenza and spreading it to others.
The centers of disease control (cdc) currently only recommends the pneumonia vaccine (23-valent polysaccharide vaccine called.

In brief: It

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Cindy Juster