What should I know about chemotherapy and bone cancer? How effective is chemotherapy for bone cancer?

It Depends. Chemotherapy can be part of curative treatment of primary bone tumors which actually started in the bone like multiple myeloma, osteosarcoma, or ewing's sarcoma. Chemotherapy also can be used to slow the growth of tumors that started in other places in the body that have spread or "metastasized" to the bone. In these cases, it is not curative but can help easy pain and possibly strengthen bone.
Depends. It depends on the type of bone cancer and the type of chemotherapy. You can read more at: http://www.Cancer.Net/cancer-types/bone-cancer.
This . This depends on what kind of bone cancer it is. Chemotherapy is used to treat metastatic disease and not the primary tumor itself. For example, osteosarcoma is a type of malignant bone tumor that is very aggressive and often spreads to the lungs. Chemotherapy is used to reduce the incidence of lung metastasis by killing the metastases when they are very tiny in the lung, before they can be detected by any means we have available today. Chemotherapy in this instance is very effective and advances in medical oncology have improved the survival from osteosarcoma. The simplest answer is that chemotherapy works well to help prevent or treat spread of bone cancers away from the bone, but usually not well to treat the bone tumor itself. Treatment of the tumor itself is typically done through a combination of radiation therapy and surgery to shrink and then cut out the tumor.