How long does recovery after hip arthroplasty take? I need to have arthroplasty of my hip joint. Apart from my hip joint, i'm a healthy male in my mid fifties. On average, how long should I expect my recovery to take?

Dr. John Michalski
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Hip replacement

6 weeks on average for collagen to heal--give yourself at least 12 weeks total to retrain the mscles for movement and gait.
Consider direct anterior hip approach withich is muscle sparing. Check with your orthopedic surgeon.

In brief: Hip replacement

Dr. John Michalski
Dr. John Michalski
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Sports Medicine

In brief: Traditional 3 months

Usually we would say 3 months.
However with minimally invasive hip surgery which avoids cutting muscles, the recooperation is drastically reduced. Patients go home the next day, and frequently are back to work in less than 6 weeks. Great for young patients.

In brief: Traditional 3 months

Usually we would say 3 months.
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Roger Palutsis
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Awhile

I would guess a good solid month of healing should get you back to normal.
A healthy nutritious diet would be best for a speedy recovery. Eliminate sugar (in all its forms, yes even if it is natural like agave nectar, honey, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar. Limit fruit to berries and ideally eat them in season. And once every month of summer you can gorge on fruit. Fatty meat is best.

In brief: Awhile

Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Keegan Duchicela