How can I get pregnant after taking the pill? I was on birth control for ten years, but now want to get pregnant. How long will it take my body to get back to a normal cycle on its own?

Dr. Paula Hillard

In brief: Age-related fertilit

Your age is a greater factor in your ability to get pregnant than is your past use of birth control pills.
Were your periods regular before starting? And are they regular now. You should see your gyno to discuss age-related fertility, which is significantly lower at age 40 than your fertility was 10 or 20 years ago. You may need the assistance of a fertility specialist.

In brief: Age-related fertilit

Dr. Paula Hillard
Dr. Paula Hillard
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: I

I tell patients to expect up to 6 months for the body to get back to its own cycle and begin ovulating.
However, it also depends a great deal on age as well. As women get older, their rate of fertility decreases. Where i see a teenager that misses 1-2 pills and gets pregnant, many older(relatively of course) women in their 30's take much longer to resume ovulating and get pregnant. And remember, even if you start ovulating at 1 month, the chance of getting pregnant with each ovulation/cycle is only about 20-40%. If you are planning on getting pregnant at a specific time, i encourage patients to stop their pills a few months before and use condoms short term for contraception until they are ready to get pregnant. Also, remember to take your prenatal vitamins prior to trying to get pregnant and consider seeing your obgyn or family physician to discuss pre-conception planning/testing that might be needed.

In brief: I

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Eric Weisman