Can a baby be born with Parkinson's disease? Is it possible for a baby to be born with Parkinson's disease? If not, what is the youngest age that the disease can manifest itself in?

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: This

This would be exceedingly rare.
There are very rare cases of juvenile parkinsonism, which is defined as disease before age 21. It is rare to get it even before age 40 (called "early" or "young adult" parkinson's). To have it as an infant would probably be "reportable, " meaning it is so rare that the parkinson's researchers would be interested in testing that specific patient for a new genetic disease. I would really explore many other diagnoses before i made that diagnosis in a baby. There is another disease called "dopa-responsive dystonia" that looks like parkinson's, and is more common. But all of these diseases usually show up in the teens or later. I would get a second opinion from a movement-disorders specialist if somebody is making that diagnosis in a baby.

In brief: This

This would be exceedingly rare.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. James Goodrich
Neurosurgery

In brief: Parkinson Disease

Parkinson disease in a child is extremely rare and to date not been reported.
There are drug induced parkinson's disease issues but they are also very rare - this is a disease of adult in 99% of cases.

In brief: Parkinson Disease

Dr. James Goodrich
Dr. James Goodrich
Dr. Jonathan Jassey