How can I prevent prostate enlargement and cancer? As a young male, are there things I can do now to prevent developing prostate enlargement and cancer?

The . The prostate is a gland that produces fluid to carry sperm out of the body during ejaculation. This gland slowly enlarges with aging and this will happen to virtually every man over time. The exact cause of this is unknown, but it appears to be related to testosterone levels. Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done at a young age to prevent this natural process. Some men will never get symptoms, but about half of men will experience enough enlargement that it may cause problems with urination. This condition is called benign prostatic hyperplasia; it is not cancer, and does not increase the risk of cancer. There are several risk factors for prostate cancer, but a man cannot change most of them: age, family history of prostate cancer, race (african american), and hormone levels. It is possible that a diet rich in natural folate (folic acid) may help lower the risk of cancer, while dietary supplements of Folic Acid may increase the risk. High levels of calcium may also slightly increase the risk. Certain medications, 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors, used to decrease the size of the prostate when it is enlarged to relieve symptoms, have been tested in large cancer prevention trials, and they can decrease the risk of prostate cancer developing in high-risk patients.