Is staph infection contagious? Are there any potential ramifications of breast feeding with a staph infection?

Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Staph and breast fee

Staph infections are definitely contagious.
If you are breast feeding you need to be doubly cautious.If you want to continue you to breast feed you must be seen by a physician. You can be placed on an antibiotic that wont harm you or your baby. Above all you must be scrupulous about hand washing as well as breast care to include washing of breasts before and after feeding.

In brief: Staph and breast fee

Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: I

I assume the questioner is asking about breast feeding with mastitis due to a staph infection.
In general, this is considered safe. While some doctors have traditionally recommended breast pumping and dumping the milk in these cases, there is no evidence that allowing the baby to feed is harmful. Staph is a normal inhabitant of the skin and mouth. It is likely that the infant's mouth is the source of the staph infection in many, if not most, cases of mastitis. Emptying the breast at regular intervals is key to treating mastitis. Whether done by breast feeding or breast pumping, the breast should be fully emptied at least every six hours, as this improves rates of recovery. Antibiotics are often prescribed as well, but it's unclear whether this improves recovery.

In brief: I

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Jane Van Dis