Should i be worried about a low basal temperature? My husband and i just started the "fertility awareness method" and my basal body temperature is rather low, being below 97 degrees. I'm off the pill and am currently not on any medication. Should i be con

Dr. Travis McCoy
Fertility Medicine

In brief: No

No, you should not be concerned.
You didn't mention if you are trying to conceive or not conceive. At 48 yrs, a natural conception is extremely unlikely regardless of cycle location.

In brief: No

No, you should not be concerned.
Dr. Travis McCoy
Dr. Travis McCoy
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Your

Your basal body temperature is tracked in the fertility awareness method (fam) in order to compare changes in temperature over the month.
There is no concern or medical problem with having a low or high basal temperature. Fam for family planning is not as reliable in the first few months, so you may want to use condoms and spermicidal gel as back-up until you have enough data. Fam is a reliable manner of avoiding pregnancy for heterosexual couples as long as the method is well understood and the guidelines are followed exactly. Couples who choose to stop using fam usually cite onerous duty of tracking/charting signs, and periodic abstinence as the reasons. For those who do wish to pursue this method either to become pregnant or to avoid pregnancy, an excellent resource is the book taking charge of your fertility by toni weschler.

In brief: Your

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Adam Levy