Acid burning my throat - could stress, little sleep, and a lot of coffee contribute? I have painful acid coming up my throat recently. I don't get a lot of sleep, am under stress, and drink a lot of coffee. What is going on and what should I do?

Dr. Krishna Kumar

In brief: Anxiety, GERD

I understand your distress.
You deserve Relief! Yes! stress, little sleep, and a lot of coffee do contribute to painful acid coming up the throat. Discuss with a Psychiatrist: • Diagnosis of Anxiety and GERD • Decrease Caffeine use • Therapy for stresses of life • Medication for Anxiety and GERD • Visual Imagery • Music Relaxation • YogaMeditationTai Chi

In brief: Anxiety, GERD

I understand your distress.
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Krishna Kumar
Dr. Masoud Sadighpour

In brief: Acid reflux

Acid reflux might get worse by coffee, which causes insomnia since people waking up with pain.
Please minimize coffee, alcohol, fatty and large meals, and start an over the counter Omeprazole 20 mg about 30 minutes before breakfast. If symptoms do not go away in few days then see your doc.

In brief: Acid reflux

Dr. Masoud Sadighpour
Dr. Masoud Sadighpour
Dr. Aaron Ament
STRESS, LITTLE SLEEP, STIMULANT - YOU'RE PUSHING TOO HARD. THERE HAS GOT TO BE A BETTER WAY. FIND A WAY TO COOL THINGS OR GET HELP FROM A THERAPIST.
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: The

The symptoms you are describing are common and are referred to as gastro-esophageal reflux disease, or gerd for short.
This is a condition where acid, which is produced by the stomach refluxes up into the esophagus (food-pipe) and sometimes even the throat, causing symptoms such as heartburn (a burning pain felt in the middle of your chest), water brash (sour, acid taste in your throat leading to hypersalivation), globus (feeling of a lump in your throat) as well as a irritating cough. Risk factors for the development of gerd include obesity, stress, smoking, alcohol and caffeine consumption. You should first try to eliminate any of these risk factors as this alone can significantly help your symptoms. Other simple lifestyle modifications can also help. For example, avoiding meals right before bedtime can help minimize reflux and sleeping with the head of your bed elevated (e.g. By placing a styrofoam wedge under your mattress) can also alleviate symptoms at night, especially coughing.

In brief: The

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge