What to do when you really really bite your lip? My son's head rammed my chin will i was lightly bitting my lower lip...It caused me to bite my lip so hard it bled...Is there something i can/should do to help this heal properly?

Dr. Oscar Novick

In brief: Bust in the mouth

You needn't, do anything .
The vascular it's around your mouth is very rich and healing should take place rapidly.

In brief: Bust in the mouth

You needn't, do anything .
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Oscar Novick
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Large

Large lip wounds may need sutures, if it is over 1/2 inch in length and deep- go see a physician.
Also, if the wound crossed the "vermillion border, " that is the line between normal skin and the red part of your lip- that is a cosmetically sensitive injury, so go get seen. If it is a small wound and the bleeding has stopped, ice if for a bit and apply Bacitracin ointment (available at the drug store) several times daily. Avoid food that may get caught in it (such as tortilla chips, popcorn etc). Also, if your tooth went in one side and out the other, you should see a physician to be evaluated if you need antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent an infected pocket from forming.

In brief: Large

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Jonathan Jassey