Are doctors obligated to share my films if i want to get a second opinion? I recently had a breast MRI but am confused about the results and would like to get a second opinion. However, when i asked for the image to share with another dr, the first dr ref

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: I

I first recommend asking the consulting doctor to call the radiology office and discuss your case with the radiologist.
The situation should be able to be resolved with additional communication. In the unusual situation that were to fail, based on the health insurance portable and accountability act (hipaa) if you make a written request to obtain a copy of your medical record (in this case a breast mri) the physician is legally obligated to send you a copy within 15 days. You may be charged a reasonable processing fee and the cost of copying the images to a cd or dvd. If the physician's office is not cooperating with your request, you can file a written complaint with the medical board in your state. After receiving the copy of the breast MRI you may then show it to the consulting physician. You have a legal right to view any part of your medical record (including radiology studies).

In brief: I

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Philip Chao
Radiology

In brief: You can always reque

Request a second opinion.
But in practice this might be difficult. I am aware that dr. Mark rosen at the univ of penn will review your breast MRI films for a charge. Call his office.

In brief: You can always reque

Request a second opinion.
Dr. Philip Chao
Dr. Philip Chao
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Anesthesiology

In brief: Must share

You have the right to obtain your medical records.
Another physician can request it for you and may be you have to pay small fee for copying . Rule applies to us. Other countries can be different.

In brief: Must share

Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Boris Aronzon
Dr. Philip Chao
A second opinion breast MRI is often hard to obtain. When I want to have my studies reviewed at the Univ of Pennsylvania they want all the images and charge 250 dollars out of pocket.
Dr. Jane Van Dis