What can I do about being scared of breast imaging test? I have found what i think is a small lump in my breast, but i'm absolutely terrified of doing an tests. At the same time i know i need to get this checked out. What is the best way i can prepare mys

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: If

If you ask this question to 10 different people you will probably get 10 different responses.
I recommend that you empower yourself to control that which you can control, and not focus on that which you cannot control. You cannot decided whether or not you develop breast cancer, but unlike many other cancers, you can decide how to fight breast cancer. You have many tools that you can use to fight it. The first one you are already familiar with - the self breast exam. Next you should have a primary care provider who can exam the lump and give you their opinion and recommendations. Then there is mammography, breast ultrasound, and even breast MRI that will allow detection of extremely small cancers. There are excellent surgical treatments, radiation, and chemotherapy treatments. If the lump does turn out to be cancer, the sooner you do something about it the more control you have over your prognosis. Early on you have many options, but if you wait long enough those options will disappear.

In brief: If

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. David Dinhofer
Radiology

In brief: Focus on the problem

Mammography is safe and effective.
The main complaint is the compression of the breasts but that only lasts for a few seconds. Ultrasound is also safe and effective. It doesn't hurt at all. The two tests are used together to diagnose breast disease. Also, remember that early diagnosis is the way to potentially cure breast cancer. Why wait till it can't be cured?

In brief: Focus on the problem

Mammography is safe and effective.
Dr. David Dinhofer
Dr. David Dinhofer
Dr. Neil Halin
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: Talk with your docto

If you have a palpable lump (one you can feel yourself) you must get it checked out.
If this makes you too scared, please go to your doctor and ask them to prescribe a medication to help you get through the test. If you are scared of the fact it could be cancer, you need to work with your doctor to understand the need to have a diagnosis as soon as possible so that you can get treatment.

In brief: Talk with your docto

Dr. Neil Halin
Dr. Neil Halin
Dr. Adam Levy