Cani get breast imaging if I am pregnant? I am four months pregnant and just found a lump in my breast that needs to be checked out. Are there any tests or treatments I should know about that could hurt my unborn child?

Dr. Neil Halin
Radiology - Interventional

In brief: GET IT CHECKED OUT.

While many women get "bumpy breasts" while pregnant (from developing milk glands) they can also still find cancers.
You should absolutely see your obstetrician or family doctor. They could send you for a mammogram (very very low dose to fetus) or ultrasound.

In brief: GET IT CHECKED OUT.

Dr. Neil Halin
Dr. Neil Halin
Dr. Kenneth Smith
Ultrasound and biopsy can be performed without radiation
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Hormone

Hormone changes during pregnancy often result in changes in the breast and the way they feel.
Ultrasound is usually the preferred method of imaging the breast in a pregnant woman and is likely to be the first test you undergo. Mammography uses ionizing radiation to generate an image of the breast. The fetus would be exposed to a tiny amount of ionizing radiation during the procedure. This is associated with an extremely small risk of increased cancer in the baby. If you do have a mammogram make sure that the abdomen is shielded. Breast MRI does not use ionizing radiation, but it usually involves IV contrast. Magnetic resonance imaging is generally felt to be safe during pregnancy. Breast MRI usually requires the use of an intravenous gadolinium contrast agent. These are pregnancy category c pharmaceuticals which have not been extensively tested in pregnant women and should only be used if the potential benefits outweigh the potential risks to the fetus.

In brief: Hormone

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham