What is that whooshing sound during ultrasound? I'm pregnant and had an ultrasound done. I heard a "whooshing" sound coming from the ultrasound and the doctor was talking about the baby's heart rate. I was wondering whether each whoosh sound is the beat

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Each

Each "woosh" does correspond to a heartbeat.
The "wooshing" sound is the motion of the contracting heart. The ultrasound machine measures the change in frequency of the returning echoes and can determine the motion of the various portions of the heart. The "woosh" sound is generated as the ultrasound machine converts the calculated motion into an audible sound through the computer speakers. This sounds different than a heartbeat that we are more accustomed to hearing through a stethoscope because in a stethoscope we hear a "lub-dub" as the various heart valves slam shut --kind of like a sound you hear from a beating drum.

In brief: Each

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Gary Lawson
Anesthesiology

In brief: The fetus heart beat

The whooshing sounds that you heard corresponded to the heart beats of your foetus.

In brief: The fetus heart beat

Dr. Gary Lawson
Dr. Gary Lawson
Dr. Cindy Juster