Mris how often for multiple sclerosis? I have multiple sclerosis and just found out my doctor does not want to do another mri. This is suprising to me, because my syptoms came back and i got back on medication. I would think my doctor would want to know

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: It

It is important to know whether your medication for multiple sclerosis is working effectively.
If your current treatment is not effective the treatment regimen may need to be altered. However, response to therapy can be determined by ways other than an MRI scan. Multiple sclerosis is most often treated by a neurologist. A skilled neurologist will get much of the needed information to guide therapy based on your symptoms and physical exam. There is no consensus regarding how often someone with multiple sclerosis should get an mri of the brain while stable on treatment. Some experts do not recommend repeat brain mris for patients that are clinically stable. Others recommend a repeat brain MRI once a year. Frequent mris may not be practical for financial reasons, and may yield little useful information. These are important considerations to discuss with your neurologist.

In brief: It

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: Variable

Mri is now used as a vehicle to make treatment decisions, and often, if new lesions are occurring, consideration for newer more potent drugs.
Decisions also based on questions of co-morbidities, and extent of problems. On average, my patients who are not fully stable, have yearly studies, but those on potent meds, tysabri (natalizumab) or Gilenya may be checked more often, as risk of pml, etc.

In brief: Variable

Dr. Eric Weisman