Allergic reaction to MRI dye? I am very allergic to all sorts of things, so I'm a bit paranoid about getting an MRI done. Do you know if it's common to have an allergic reaction to MRI dye? If so, what type of bad reactions do people have? Is there a way

Acute . Acute allergic reactions to MRI contrast material ("dye") are rare, occuring in less than 0.1% of injections. Most reactions are mild, for example a rash, itching, or nasal stuffiness. However, some reactions are moderate or severe and require immediate medical management. Moderate reactions include shortness of breath, increased or decreased heart rate, or increased or decreased blood pressure. Severe reactions include respiratory distress, abnormal heart rhythm, seizure, or cardiopulmonary arrest. A radiologist, who is a physician who specializes in diagnostic imaging, is always available near the scanner to manage contrast reactions. There is no way to know ahead of time if you will have an allergic reaction to the dye. Potential factors that may increase your risk of an acute allergic reaction include a history of previous allergic reaction to iv-administered contrast medium (either gadolinium-containing, which is used for mri, or iodine-containing, which is used for ct), a prior allergic reaction to a substance other than contrast media, or a history of asthma. If your risk for a severe reaction is high, for example if you had a severe reaction in the past, your doctor may offer you steroids as premedication before the scan.
Allergy unlikely . If you never had a contrast dye study in past, allergy is unlikely. But if you are very nervous, the dr. Can give you medicines for a day or two prior to minimize risk.