What's the difference between a MRI and hip arthrogram? I had an MRI scan done on my hip and it didn't find anything. But I still have severe hip pain. The doctor has ordered a hip arthrogram. What's the difference?

Dye! Dye is injected into the hip looking for tears in the capsule and labrum. Then an x-ray or ct is done to visualize what is present! not done routinely for joint pain or arthritis!
Information. There is different information found in an arthrogram of the hip and an MRI study. The MRI gives much greater detail, and it can be combined with the arthrogram to aid in the diagnosis of cartilage and capsule tears. The arthrogram is usually performed with contrast and other medication, and can help your Doctor decide if the problem is inside or outside the hip joint and capsule.
Your . Your doctor has probably ordered an mr arthrogram, which is a two-step procedure. In the first step, contrast material is injected into the hip joint using fluoroscopic guidance, which is a method of using x-rays in real time to guide proper placement of the injection directly into the joint space. Lidocaine, a local anesthetic, may also be injected, which may temporarily relieve your pain. In the second step, you will be transferred to the mr scanner where you will undergo an MRI of the hip much in the same way as your prior scan. The advantage of the mr hip arthrogram over the regular MRI is that disorders of the labrum, a fibrocartilaginous structure surrounding the hip, are better visualized, as are other disorders of internal derangement of the hip. Hip arthrogram may also refer to a procedure where medication is injected into the hip joint to relieve pain.