Can a CT scan also scan for brain tumors? I had a CT scan done a while ago to check my sinuses, but now i fear i may have a brain tumor. I was wondering if a doctor could look at the same CT scan to check for brain tumors.

Dr. David Djang
Nuclear Medicine

In brief: Probably not.

A ct of the sinuses wouldn't get much of a look at the brain.
An MRI of the brain would be the best test for a brain tumor. Of course i don't know anything about you, but fearing you have a brain tumor is often separate from actually having one, fortunately.

In brief: Probably not.

Dr. David Djang
Dr. David Djang
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: No,

No, unfortunately a ct scan performed to evaluate the sinuses generally cannot be used to evaluate the brain for tumor. There are two reasons for this.
First, the field-of-view of a sinus ct generally only includes the face and small portions of the front part of the brain; this view provides excellent evaluation of the sinuses but does not include the majority of the brain. Second, the computer algorithm used to reconstruct the images on a sinus ct emphasizes bony detail but this is suboptimal for evaluation of the brain.

In brief: No,

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Christopher Oxner
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Depends

It really depends on the technique used and to what extent the scan went.
If it did not encompass the entire head, it will be inadequate. You should verify with your ordering physician.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Christopher Oxner
Dr. Christopher Oxner