Should i be concerned with a new side effect of carotid artery disease? I have been suffering from carotid artery disease, however recently i started seeing black spots. I know that this is a side effect, but should I be concerned of this sudden appearanc

Dr. Robert Gould
Radiology

Yes, you should be concerned as you may have an ulcerated plaque or an irrregular lining to your carotid vessels that supply the brain.
If a piece breaks off and goes through your neck into your ophthalmic artery the blood supply to your eye it could be causing these black spots. I would see medical consultation immediately. Your body could be warning you that a stroke is coming.

Dr. Robert Gould
Dr. Robert Gould
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: This

This is a very serious symptom, and should prompt immediate medical attention.
These black spots in your vision may be a result of fragments of the carotid artery plaque breaking free and traveling up to the brain or eye. This heralds carotid plaque instability and the potential for a stroke, which occurs when a ruptured fragment of the atherosclerotic plaque blocks a brain artery. People with carotid artery disease who have symptoms should not only be on certain medications, but they should also be evaluated for surgery or carotid artery stenting.

In brief: This

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology