Masturbation can cause heart problems? When i masturbate I have noticed that my heart tends to speed up a lot and even skip a beat sometimes. Is this a serious problem that I should be worried about? I'm a 17 year old male.

Dr. Michael Amster

In brief: Probably fine

It's normal for masturbation to cause rapid heart rate, and the occasional skipped beat when it's going that fast.
The sympathetic nervous system is activated, essentially the fight or flight response. Hormones are kicked into gear to get that going, and those drive the heart as well. Unless you have documented heart disease, at 17 you should be fine.

In brief: Probably fine

Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Marsha Davis
Even at 31 you should be fine!
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge

In brief: I

I would not be too concerned if you are otherwise healthy.
It is normal for the heart to speed up during periods of sexual arousal, and occasional skipped beats are not dangerous. I think you are unlikely to have an arrhythmia, which is any abnormality of the heart rhythm. Symptoms of arrhythmia that should prompt you to see your doctor include fainting or near-fainting, palpitations or the sense of an irregular heart beat in the chest, or the inability to do sports or activities you could previously do. At your age, it would be a good idea to have a physical if you haven't had one within the past year. You could talk with your doctor more then.

In brief: I

Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Geoffrey Rutledge
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham