Difference between paroxysmal arrhythmia and atrial fibrillation? Difference between paroxysmal arrhythmia and atrial fibrillation? I'm trying to understand the difference between the two. Can someone help me?

Some overlap. A paroxysmal arrhythmia is one that is not present constantly. There are several abnormal rhythms that can be paroxysmal including atrial fibrillation. Alternatively atrial fibrillation can be present continuously, in which case it is not paroxysmal.
Arrhythmia. Arrhythmia is a generic term for any abnormal heart rhythm. Atrial fibrillation is a specific type of arrhythmia. Atrial fibrillation is an irregular, fast heart rhythm caused by chaotic electrical activity in the atria, which are the upper chambers of the heart. Paroxysmal is a term used to describe arrhythmias that come and go suddenly. Atrial fibrillation is frequently paroxysmal, but can be chronic and more sustained (i.e. Always present, as opposed to coming and going). There are other examples of paroxysmal arrhythmias, so it is important to distinguish between them because the treatment and prognosis can be quite different.