I have been taking Xanax (alprazolam) for 3 years I have noticed that I now have a difficult time retaining new memories is there anything I can do to regain my me?

Taper Xanax (alprazolam) Xanax (alprazolam) and others can cause an anterograde amnesia (difficulty retaining new memories). Although it does have a strong anti-anxiety effect, it's not meant to be used for an extended period of time. It sounds like you have a prime suspect in your memory issues. Talk with your physician about this, and getting other help with anxiety if you still have it. A very gradual taper may be possible.
Xanax (alprazolam) Not unusual side-effect on long-term use of benzodiazepines like xanax (alprazolam). Discuss with your prescribing doc. Possibility of tapering your xanax (alprazolam) dose slowly, if your anxiety is stable, and explore supplements to enhance memory. Good luck 2u.