Can stress cause fibromyalgia during pregnancy?

Dr. David Fein
Preventive Medicine
Unfortunately, the truthful answer to the question is yet, but in many cases, we will see many women with fibromyalgia and certain other auto-immune disorders actually improve during their pregnancies.
For unexplained reasons, joint pain, muscle pain, fatigue, and other symptoms can improve during pregnancy. However, there is a risk for a relapse in the post-partum time period.

Dr. David Fein
Dr. David Fein
3 comments
Dr. David True
Fibromyalgia has not been found to be autoimmune in nature. Evidence supports an abnormality in pain processing with abnormal pain signals. It is unclear what causes fibromyalgia to develop. Many people are able to relate onset with stress, illness, surgery, trauma or injury but many are not. There are other causes of pain in pregnancy also such as weight change, pressure on other organs, edema.
Dr. Ronald Krauser
I agree with Dr. True. Studies have often failed to document the onset of fibromyalgia to a major stressful event. Evaluations have found major stress prior to FM onset to occur in only 5% of patients, not a statistically significant value.
Dr. Alan Ali
In brief: Stress
It can exacerbate symptoms of fibromyalgia.

In brief: Stress
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Alan Ali
Dr. Bassam Amawi
In brief: Yes it can
Stress can also cause anxiety , depression and aggravate pain symptoms.

In brief: Yes it can
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. David Hardin
Wound care
In brief: Not stress
Stress won't cause fibro but it will agra ate it but there is an association with pregnancy likely due to musculoskeletal and hormonal changes.
I have seen many cases after prolonged labor as well.

In brief: Not stress
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. David Hardin
Dr. Eric Weisman