Does prednisone help people with pulmonary fibrosis and copd?

Occasionally. Corticosteroids for pulmonary fibrosis is mostly not helpful. Pts with nsip have shown a response to steroids. In COPD steroid pulses for acute worsening of function but should be weaned quickly. Long term steroids in COPD have not been beneficial.
Maybe. In ipf approximately 1 in 15 to 1 in 20 patients are called "steroid responders" meaning that they see improvement in their lung function while on prednisone. This is unfortunately a small overall number. In COPD patients can respond to Prednisone during "exacerbations" of their lung disease. The drug is usually given for 7-12 days and stopped; longterm oral steroids cause more harm than good.