Are there any effective treatments for interstitial lung disease?

Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: IPF treatment
Steroids and nac do not work as by a recent not yet published randomized study.
Pirfenidone is approved in japan and germany, at around $80, 000 every year. It stops deterioration in about 1/3 of treated patients but no improvement. I would not use it because the benefits are small. But I do have several patients who buy it overseas.

In brief: IPF treatment
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Internal Medicine - Geriatrics
In brief: If the cause has tx
First we should try to find the cause with bronchoscopy and lung biopsy in case it may be treatable, otherwise only supportive or symptomatic treatment.

In brief: If the cause has tx
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Pedro Hernandez
Dr. Dennis Clifford
In brief: Not yet
Treatment of interstitial lung disease has been disappointing because nothing has really improved survival.
Currently, research is evaluating Prednisone (a steroid), and n-acetyl-cyteine to see if they're helpful. Also a drug called perfenidone is in clinical trials and seems promising.

In brief: Not yet
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Dennis Clifford
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
In brief: Bronchoscopy
A bronchoscopy with biopsies should be performed to get a real diagnosis.
That is what I do for a living.

In brief: Bronchoscopy
That is what I do for a living.
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Klaus d Lessnau
Dr. Arnon Rubin
Interstitial lung disease are a group of many different types of lung disease.
Some are treatable. Often immune suppresent such as steriods are used. Other times triggering agents can be removed. It is important to find out what type of interstitial lung disease you have.

Dr. Arnon Rubin
Dr. Arnon Rubin
Dr. Fernando Torres
Internal Medicine - Pulmonology
In brief: ILD
Unfortunately, there are no known treatments for ild.
There are multiple clinical trials on going, and perhaps going to the nih website, you can find a center who participates in one of the trials near you.

In brief: ILD
Dr. Fernando Torres
Dr. Fernando Torres
Dr. Arnon Rubin