If someone has a penicillin-resistant staph infection, is that the same as mrsa?

Not always. Mrsa stands for methicillin resistant staph aureus. Methicillin is a type of penicillin. Many species of staph bacteria are resistant to some forms of penicillin, but are sensitive to methicillin. Those bacteria are not classified as mrsa. Conversely, staph species that are resistant to methicillin are nearly always resistant to all the other penicillins as well.
No. It means that penicillin and Ampicillin do not work but the anti staph penicillins like methicillin and cephalosporins do.