For a non-competitive athlete, is a patellar graft or a hamstring graft most effective for an ACL reconstruction?

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Acl tear

I would recommed a hamstring graft although the patella graft would work well too.
The hamstring graft can be removed through a cosmetically nicer incision and there is probably less postop pain than a patella graft. I assume your question was in regards to autografts and not allografts?

In brief: Acl tear

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Sports Medicine

In brief: Either

The best choice between the two is the one your surgeon is most comfortable with.
The patella graft is more reliably large enough to replace your acl, sometime the hamstring tendons, even if you take two are very small and may put you at higher risk of tearing your graft.Patella grafts have risks too and some people have knee pain after surgery and have a harder time recovering.

In brief: Either

Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Ryan Pflugner
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine