How do I know I have chondromalacia patellae?

Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Anterior knee pain

Chondromalacia patella (runners knee) is due to overload of the patellofemoral joint (knee cap against the end of the thigh bone).
Running caused high forces in this portion of the joint. So does arising from a chair, going up/down stairs. Pain in your knee with these types of activities. Pain located in the front of your knee, under knee cap or sometime in the back of your knee.

In brief: Anterior knee pain

Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Dr. Zubin Khubchandani
Dr. Brian Sabb
Sports Medicine

In brief: Tough question

CP is used by different physicians to mean different things.
The definition depends on the context. In the context of the pcp evaluating the patient with anterior knee pain and no specific diagnosis yet is made, the somewhat non-specific term CP has been employed. More specific usage of the term is in regards to abnormal, softened, blistered, or thinned...Cartilage detected by MRI or arthroscopy.

In brief: Tough question

Dr. Brian Sabb
Dr. Brian Sabb