Is writing "go see a dentist" a proper response to a dental question?

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to diagnose over the internet.
Words can only take you so far. We dentists work better with our diagnostic tools such as x-rays, ct scans, study models, visual information, personal, medical and dental histories. So much is left out if a one on one evaluation is not conducted. Hope this helps, .

Dr. John Mc Allister
Dr. John Mc Allister
Dr. David Smith
Dentistry

In brief: I like that!

Many questions can be answered online without seeing the patient.
Such as, "what's the difference in a crown and cap?" (ans: none, they are the same thing) or "how long should I feel pain after a tooth is pulled?" (ans: usually one or two days) etc etc. But a question like: "my teeth are crowded. Do i need braces?" obviously needs to have someone look at the patient and make an evaluation.

In brief: I like that!

Dr. David Smith
Dr. David Smith
Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dentistry

In brief: Perhaps..

If it is something that needs to be seen to answer the question.
..Then yes...go see a dentist. If is a general question about a condition or situation then perhaps you can get by without stepping foot in a dental office. Like..I play football...do I need a mouthguard to protect my teeth. Or I grind and clench at night...is there anything I can do without seeing a dentist.

In brief: Perhaps..

Dr. Earl Sandroff
Dr. Earl Sandroff

In brief: Depends

Without visualizing the problem or having xrays, it is pretty difficult to diagnose a dental problem, like fixing your car over the phone

In brief: Depends

Dr. Charles Lockhart
Dr. Charles Lockhart