Why do I only grind my teeth whenever I have nightmares?

Dr. Kevin Passer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: Bruxism

Teeth grinding, especially during sleep is not uncommon.
It can be a big problem, as grinding one's teeth can wear off the enamel. The enamel does not grow back and one can then have further dental problems down the road. Most pharmacies have bite blocks to be used to prevent this. You might go to the dentist and have your teeth checked out. I try low dose nortriptyline for my bruxism patients.

In brief: Bruxism

Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Kevin Passer
Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: Stress response

Bruxism is often related to stress, so a nightmare can certainly induce the response.
How do you know you only grind your teeth during this time since you are asleep? Has someone observed this? I would suspect you are doing at other times during sleep as well. Speak to your dentist to discuss methods of protection as well as other potential causes.

In brief: Stress response

Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dr. Ryan Tamburrino
Dr. Eric Weisman